Klindt's Community Book Club - Free & Open to the Public
- October Book Club: There, There
- Author: Tommy Orange
- Date and Time: Sunday, October 13, 2019 @ 6:30pm
- November Book Club: Grendel
- Author: John Gardner
- Date and Time: Sunday, November 10, 2019 @ 6:30pm
Join the Klindt's Staff to Welcome Author Luis Alberto Urrea at The Dalles Civic Auditorium on Friday, Oct. 4 @ 5pm
This free event launches a month-long series of Big Read activities in The Dalles and Hood River. Urrea's quest novel, Into the Beautiful North, is the featured book for Gorge The Big Read this fall. Free copies will be distributed to the community this month.
Big Read events will be offered in both Spanish and English through October. There will be readings and discussions, folk dancing, artists, a comedian, theatrical troupe, musical performances, panel presentations in schools, libraries, and both campuses of Columbia Gorge Community College. For a complete list of events, check here.
A distinguished professor of creative writing at the University of Illinois, Urrea is a poet and author of 17 books, including Into the Beautiful North, a quest novel set in the US-Mexican border region.
The public is invited to attend Urrea’s opening address and community welcome starting at 5 pm Friday, Oct. 4, in The Dalles Civic Auditorium, 323 E. Fourth Street, The Dalles.
This Big Read is made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and local partners, including The Dalles-Wasco County and Hood River County library districts, Columbia Gorge Community College, Columbia Center for the Arts, The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce, The Next Door, Klindt’s Booksellers, Immigration Counseling Services, and Gorge Happiness Month.
Big Read Community Events:
- Oct 4 @ 5pm: The Dalles Civic Auditorium. Kick-off. Keynote address, reading, and book signing with author Luis Alberto Urrea. Free and open to the public. All ages welcome.
- Oct 5: Angel Occasio, Reforma Oregon-endorsed Latinx musician and comedian, will provide a bilingual performance at both the Hood River Library and Dalles-Wasco County public libraries. All ages welcome.
- Oct. 4, 11, 18, & 25: Hora de Cuentos (Bilingual Story Time) will be offered at the Parkdale Branch of the Hood River Library. For preschoolers and their families.
- Oct. 11: CGCC will provide a free performance by Teatro Milagro: a bilingual theater group. The performance will take place at Wy’East Middle School. All ages welcome.
- Oct. 12 & 26: Hora de Cuentos (Spanish Story Time) will be offered at The Dalles-Wasco County Public Library. For preschoolers and their families.
- Oct. 19: Portland Latino Network’s “Ballet Folklorico," a Mexican folk dancing troupe, will perform at the Hood River Public Library and The Dalles Civic Center. All ages welcome.
Big Read Book Discussions:
- Oct. 14, 6:30pm: Book discussion at Klindt’s Booksellers & Stationers. Free and open to the public.
- Oct. 17: Two book discussions, in English and in Spanish, at The Dalles-Wasco County Public Library and its branches.
- Oct. 23: Two book discussions, in English and in Spanish, at Hood River Public Library and its branches (Parkdale Public Library and Cascade Locks PublicLibrary). Target audience: teens and adults.
There are many more Big Read events happening in October. For a complete list, check here.